Maytag Blue Potato Soup
- 2 T. bacon drippings or good oil
- 1 clove garlic, peeled & diced
- 2 C. chopped onion
- 2 large potatoes, peeled & diced
- 3 C. low salt chicken broth
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 large leek, chopped
- 1 C. your favorite beer
- 2 medium carrots, peeled & chopped
- ¾ C. half & half
- 4 oz. Maytag Blue cheese, crumbled
- salt & pepper
Place oil in large heavy pot, cover and cook onion, leek, celery and carrots until they begin to soften, about 15 minutes. Add broth, potato and beer. Bring to a boil then reduce to simmer until tender, about 30 minutes. Remove from heat & let cool for 15 minutes.
In a glass blender, place 2 cups soup & blue cheese. Blend until cheese melts. Add soup back to the pot and slowly warm, stir in half & half. Serve with homemade bread.